Here's our pick for some of the most incredible wildlife adventures on the planet, and when to go and experience them!
- Swim with Humpback whales in Tonga or Niue
- Take a micro-light flight with migrating birds
- Big cats and meerkats in the Kalahari Desert, Namibia
- Viewing orangutans and gibbons in the Danum Valley, Borneo
- Observing dolphins in Shark Bay and whale sharks at Ningaloo Reef, Australia
- Getting up close to mountain gorillas in Rwanda
- Any Antarctic journey; where you’re guaranteed to see penguins, seals and maybe whales
- Falkland Islands for a birders paradise
- Yellowstone National Park in the USA for grizzly bears, moose and wolves
- An African safari to spot the ‘big five'
Best time to travel
There are so many options for viewing birdlife and wildlife around the globe, below are some examples of what can be seen in different months.
January – Penguins; Antarctica. Birds; Colombia and Guatemala.
February - Snow Leopards; India. Birds and monkeys; Vietnam.
March – Whales; Baja California, Mexico and Antarctica. Birds; Puerto Rico.
April – Tigers; India. Bird migration; Egypt. Birds; Hawaii.
May - Sea turtles and tortoises as well as displaying seabirds; Galapágos Islands, Ecuador.
June - Wildebeest migration; Serengeti, Tanzania. Narwhals; Baffin Island. Birds; Scottish Highlands.
July - Whale sharks; Australia. Atlantic Puffin; Treshnish Isles, UK. Birds and Orangutans; Borneo.
August – Jaguars; Pantanal Wetlands, Brazil . Komodo Dragons; Komodo.
September - Grizzly bears; British Columbia, Canada. Birds; Peru and the Amazon.
October - Polar bears; Hudson Bay, Canada. Birds; South Africa and Australia.
November – Turtles; Heron Island, Australia. Giant Pandas; China. Birds; India.
December - Mountain gorillas; Rwanda. Birds and monkeys; Mozambique and Sierra Leone.
Let us know if you agree or think we've missed something that deserves being added to the list.